January 12th, 2012
Tweedie's Top Tips
You may recognize Gillian Tweedie as co-owner of Goodnight but did you know that she is also a kick-ass long distance runner? With a 3:03:10 debut in the NYC marathon under her belt, Tweedie is now preparing for a grueling 1:20:00 half, and that means no break for winter. Whether your goal is 5km or 25km, Gill’s winter running tips will help get to the finish line.
1. Add strength training and hills to your workouts: You will be amazed at the speed and strength you can gain by running through the winter months. Strength training will help you maintain proper form in the snow and if you can run hills in the winter, you can take on anything in the spring.
2. Sign up for a spring race: Registering (and paying) for a race will keep you motivated- like the Chilly Half Marathon on March 4th in Burlington.
3. Run with a friend: Kilometres seem to pass faster when you’re catching up with a friend while on solo runs music makes all the difference. Summer Principles by Prince Language is my current mix of choice.
4. Wear the proper gear: Wear enough layers and you won’t be cold (I promise) but it’s also worth investing in a pair of Gore-Tex runners for the really bad days. I like Nike’s Running Shield Collection.
5. Consider a running coach or club: I train with Darren Weldrick and have made huge improvements in less than two years. Or join run ambassador Adam Reynolds and me for a run club starting January 23rd at 6pm at lululemon athletica 153 Cumberland St.
Style, substance and speed, the girl’s a triple threat.