March 25th, 2011
Life is Beautiful
Vancouverites have been waiting a long time for a casual Italian restaurant like this: Five reasons to book at The BiBo.
1. Lively owners Lorenzo and Andrea (a former shipping magnate and actor/lawyer, respectively) who give the dining room lots of personality.
2. Wood-fired pizza with simple ingredients (cooked expertly by a young Neapolitan chef) that arrives hot, chewy and uncut at the table
3. Bottles, not glasses, of red wine being heartily consumed (try the 2006 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, just $38) by multi-generational families.
4. Classic Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni films (La Dolce Vita, 8 1/2) flickering on the flatscreen.
5. Top-quality Italian ingredients that come with the D.O.P. distinction (translation: Protected Destination of Origin), like the melt-in-your mouth Burrata cheese.
Now that's what we call an Italian job. —SB
The BiBo, 1835 W. Fourth Ave., Vancouver, 604-568-617, www.thebibo.com