March 22nd, 2012
Closet clean sweep
Spring cleaning isn’t all scrubbing floors and washing windows: It’s also about sprucing up your sartorial style. We grilled Les Effrontés’ Monica Giliati for her top wardrobe cleaning tips.
2. Try everything on and sort into three piles:
• Keep everything that fits well and that you like, or that has potential with the help of a tailor.
• Give garments that don’t fit your body, lifestyle or personal style. Donate them to friends and family or a charity (YWCA’s boutique Fringues collects clothing for female professionals, 514-866-9941).
• Toss anything that is stained, smelly, damaged, washed out… Learn to let go!
3. Put everything back in your closet, sorting garments by either outfit or category. Use fabric or wooden hangers (a pack of 40 fabric hangers at Costco is $14.99) for everything except knits, which should be folded.
For three more tips from Monica, check out the Editors' Diary. – As told to Christine Laroche
Les Effrontes, 980 Ste-Catherine St. W., 3rd floor, Montreal, 514-521-4734, www.leseffrontes.com